Facial fat transfer is a minimally invasive procedure in which fat is “borrowed” from one area of the body and used to provide volume, thickness, or tone to hollow, thin, or deflated areas of the face. It can be performed as a procedure on its own or in combination with other facial procedures like non-surgical tissue tightening or facelift.
The Most Natural Filler: Your Own Fat
For many people, age brings on a lack of volume in the face. Youthful plumpness can turn into an unhealthy-looking gauntness in the upper face, brows, and eyes, the mid-face, and at the chin and jawline. Dermal fillers can help with this, but for patients who want a more permanent or a more natural option, facial fat transfer is a great choice. Your own fat is an excellent natural filler to plump up folds, wrinkles, and lines, as well as achieving more volume for the soft tissues around the mouth, the temples, tear troughs, cheeks, and lips.
Advantages of Facial Fat Transfer
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Results look and feel very natural
- Results last longer than dermal fillers
- No foreign substances or chemicals
- No risk of allergic reaction
- Removes fat from another area
- Reduces wrinkles
- Improves skin texture and tone
- Restores youthful, healthy volume
Facial Fat Transfer Procedure Details
Dr. G can perform facial fat transfer with the patient under either general anesthesia or local anesthesia, depending on how much fat needs to be removed.
The first step is liposuction. Dr. G will make small incisions in the area where fat will be removed. This is usually the thighs, flanks, or stomach. Using the incisions, he will insert a cannula—a small, thin tube—which will break up and remove the fat, suctioning it out of the body. This fat will then be processed and purified before it is placed into a syringe. The syringe will then be used to administer the fat into targeted areas of the face where more volume is desired. The liposuction incisions will be closed. Facial fat transfer takes about 1-2 hours, depending on the area(s) that need to be treated.
- Most patients return to work in 3-5 days
- It takes about 1-2 weeks for a full recovery
- Light exercise can be continued a couple of weeks
- Vigorous exercise can be continued after four weeks
- Swelling and bruising can last up to one week
- Residual swelling may last up to one month
The results from a facial fat transfer may take up to six months to be fully finalized, although your face and skin will progress more and more over the weeks. Some of the injected fat may also not survive in its new environment, and multiple treatments may be needed to get the exact results you want. Once your desired outcome is achieved, it will last long term.
Ideal Candidates for Facial Fat Transfer
- Would like more volume in the temples, tear troughs, cheeks, areas around the mouth, jawline, or lips
- Would prefer a more permanent solution than dermal fillers
- Would prefer a more natural solution than dermal fillers or facial implants
- Have enough unwanted fat in another area to remove
- Are a non-smokers in overall good health
- Understand the facial fat transfer procedure, risks, and recovery
- Have realistic expectations for what fat transfer can do
Why Choose Dr. G Plastic Surgery?
Dr. Joseph Grzeskiewicz (or “Dr. G” to his patients) is a board-certified plastic surgeon based in La Jolla, California with a work philosophy based on love, care, and dedication. In practice for over 20 years, Dr. G specializes in cosmetic rejuvenation from head to toe. He and his experienced staff build a relationship with patients that is based on trust and honesty because our passion is making our patients happy. Dr. G is very hands-on, always doing his own pre-op, post-op, consults, and follow-ups. We make sure that you get the best possible advice and are fully content with your results.Learn More